4.04.2011

#15 Timmy Norwood : I wanted to say Hello before I said Good-Bye.

Timmy Norwood :  RIP 4/3/11  Photo Credit:  Deb McCormick
I didn't mean to write about people as they leave this earth, but I want to write "the memories before I forget" as my Aunt Joan would say.  It is a stark reminder, a jolt, a shock when someone you "used to know" leaves the earth before you have a chance to say goodbye to them.


Yesterday, my phone was on the charger, my cell phone, so I don't answer it while it is charging because the last phone I had cost me $75 to replace under warrenty for doing that , so I let it ring last night.......... I noted that it was Debbie and I would call her back when the phone charged.   Then I got a text from her right after that and I could press a button and read it............ OMG.............. tears from Debbie............Timmy Norwood passed away.........details later............. son not taking it well..........and frankly .......... no one is taking it well.   He was the class of 78, so I am assuming he was 51 now or round about 2 years older than me.

It is not appropriate for me to remember Timmy..........without remembering the Cassette Tape Player / Stereo in his car and the music we shared everyday.  Most of my memories of Timmy are not complete without a song ........ so ........ you have to listen as you read this post to "get it." 





What a great friend he was to me in school.  He drove to school everyday and many days I rode with him in that green car he had.  We became close that way....... on the drive from Courthouse Rd. to Clover Hill High School for 2 years ......listening to music and sometimes catching a buzz. I make no excuses we were dysfunctional, rural, tight knit group of timeless friends.  It was the70's after all

We listened to music and deadened our senses and made special bonds that would last a lifetime, all while just trying to endure what hands we had been dealt, each different digits of the same hand.  Some of those tunes come to mind today,  "Lynard Skynard"  *Freebird and "Led Zepplin's *Stairway to Heaven ........ both are the first that come to mind......... As I heard the news today..........  We lived in a special time, I know that when I look back on it nostalgically.  We lived in a small town where just about everyone was your friend, or at least a friend of a friend.  We lived in a time when certain bonds tied us that are not duplicated in the culture of our children , unfortunately.  It is and was "Timeless"...... as I told that to my friend Debbie, who has certainly now added a new dimension to that word through her photographs.  They are "our" photographs....... and our music and our love that helped us make it through the day......     I am reminded of that when I look thru my memories that I have of spending time with you Timmy Norwood.







Its funny.........the last time I actually saw you I was working in Kmart, doing a reset for a merchandising company......... in the paint aisle.  I heard the voices of two of my favorite people ,  Ricky B.   & Timmy Norwood over the paint cans.  They were goofing off, laughing and talking and I recognized my friends.  I said hello and got some nice warm smiles and hugs and we all said we would get "together soon." Timmy told me I needed to come over and we could all cook on the grill or something and I agreed, said it sounded like fun , exchanged numbers and never did.

A while back I watched you and your family from "afar" stalking you through cyberspace? I guess that is what its called?  I made friends with your wife, Holly who you had introduced to me in a bowling alley many years ago  and your beautiful  step-daughter Erika and asked about you.  They said you were "fine" and I became fast friends with them both, having alot in common with them both and fell in love with Holly and have a working relationship with Erika.  While I stayed in touch with them through facebook.......  I lost touch with you.  I did see some pictures of you once at a Fourth of July Cookout with your family and friends.

You looked good, but I heard you were not doing that well, and you had to go to the hospital, I sent prayers and positive thoughts your way and asked Rusty to let you know we were thinking about you.  I hoped you would join us all on Facebook or that I would hear that you were doing much better after that but I never did........... :(

I wish that we had made the time to have that cookout and all get together way back when.  I wish that I had reconnected with Holly sooner and we had gotten together to cook up a meal together and maybe play cards or something.  They say that they "didn't see it coming" and  your son in law found you there in your room ......... that you had already been gone a day at least........I mourn for your family, I mourn for your friends that knew you now. They say you are now "at peace" and that's a good thing.   

I just wish that I had gotten the chance to say Hello again to you before you said "Goodbye"





6 comments:

  1. We never really know just how short life will be...do we? Prayers to you and to Timmy's family. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that post. He has been my stepdad for over 21 years and I just love hearing stories of his past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Anjie, for your loss of both opportunity and friend. I can only imagine how you must feel. I have several friends from high school that I would mourn deeply even though, these days, we communicate only rarely. Years can pass and relationships can go neglected, but love remains because of moments once shared. No one can take those away from you. Praying for all those who are sad that Timmy left this place. I'm sure the once in which he now resides is much better and brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I'm quilty of all the above, promising to get together but never do. We all are living so fast & take no time for each other. A lot of times your friends are closer then your own fam.
    I do love FB, at least we can connect in some sorta way. I've gotten to reconnect with so many people that I often wondered what happened to them. :) I'm glad I got to know you too!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the most unique way of expressing your feelings and thoughts.....I'm sure that it will provide comfort to the family and make them smile, if only for a moment.

    ReplyDelete